- The boxes are placed 30 feet apart from the center of the hole to the center of the other hole.
- The game can be played with either 2 or 4 players.
- Each team has 4 bags to throw.
- When 4 players are playing, one member from each team stands at both ends of the boxes.
- Each player must throw from behind the front of the box. This is the foul line. The player must not pass the foul line or the player’s throw does not count and the bag is removed.
- Each team alternates shots beginning with the team that scored the last point.
- Points are scored when a player has a bag on the board or in the hole.
- Only one team can score points per round because points cancel each other out.
- A bag put on the board = 1 point
- A bag put in the hole = 3 points
- The maximum amount of points scored in a single round is 12 points. (4 bags from the same team in the hole) An example of cancellation of points is if one team has 1 bag in the hole and 3 bags on the board and the other team has 2 bags in the hole and none on the board. 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 + 3 + 0 + 0. If this were to happen in a game the resulting round would be called a wash and the first team to throw in the last round would throw again in the next round.
- The game is over when one team scores 21 points, but the winning team must win by 2 points.
- A bag that hits another players bag or any other bag is legal and still in play. If a player throws a bag and the result is that it hits the other players bag in the hole, the bag in the hole counts as such. If a player knocks another players bag off of the board, that bag stays off of the board.
- A bag that hits the ground for any reason is considered dead. If a bag bounces and lands on the board it is dead and must be removed from the board before play may continue.